Monday 21 March 2011

Dealing with Depression

Today I want to talk to you about depression. I have heard it said that Christians shouldn't or don't suffer with depression. That is simply not true. Yes, the joy of the Lord is our strength, as the bible says:
Then he said to them, "Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord.
And do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."
[Nehemiah  8:10]
but that doesn't mean we are always happy and cheerful, although we should try to be, for God's word says:
 A joyful heart is good medicine,  but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
[Proverbs 17:22]

Joy and happiness are not the same thing. Happiness is a fleeting thing, a feeling or state of mind. people who search for it don't often find it but people who just live their lives and make time for important things like family and Church and leisure activities may find happiness coming to them unexpectedly. 

Joy is more than a feeling. It is a quiet contentment, based on the knowledge of who god is and what he has done for us. It is a contentment not based on circumstances, the Apostle Paul had joy even in prison, but based on a relationship with god. A person can have joy in their hearts and still battle with depression.

there are different forms and types of depression. I'm not an expert in it so I won't go into too much detail here, I just want to share a message of encouragement to Christians like me who deal with depression. Clinical depression is more than just feeling sad or being in low spirits, it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the system and can happen to anyone.  Let me share a couple of points that might help you as they have helped me.

1. don't be afraid or ashamed to talk to God about your depression. He understands. Remember that Jesus lived on the earth as a man and he experienced everything that we experience, he knows exactly how we feel. the bible says this:
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have
a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then
with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
[Hebrews 4:14-16]
I find this very comforting. Jesus experienced all that we experience. The bible even says that Jesus wept [John 11:35] so i know I can talk to him about my depression, whether something has happened to make me feel sad or I'm having a bout of depression without anything particular happening that has made me feel that way.
2. whatever you do don't allow your depression to keep you from spending  time with God, it's vital to keep doing that no matter how we feel. Remember that God is the one who can help us the most in dealing with depression.
3. Don't let anyone try to make you feel guilty or bad if you are a Christian who deals with depression. Remember that we have an enemy, the devil, who will try to bring us down any way he can and if he can make us feel shame he will do it. Also, people who may not understand might try to convince you that Christians shouldn't be depressed. Don't let them get you down, talk to God about how those people make you feel. Don't be bitter about it though. People may be well-meaning and try to help you but if they don't have depression they don't really understand what we go through.
4. What really helps me when I have a bout of depression is to talk about it with a Christian friend who deals with the same issues and can encourage me. I can't thank god enough for my wonderful friends Maria and Joe who help me so much when I'm depressed. they have given me so much support and encouragement.
 If you don't have a Christian friend or family member who has depression too, ask God to bring someone like that into your life. if you don't have anyone like that in your life and you need someone to talk to you can feel free to email me. Please understand that I'm not a counselor or a pastor or anything, but I can pray for you and listen to you and I'm happy to do that.
5. sometimes counseling can help, if you possibly can find a Christian counselor that would be very good, although any counselor may be able to help you and give you coping strategies. I had a Christian counselor who helped me even though I only saw her a few times.
6. About the worst thing we can do when we're depressed is isolate ourselves, stop going to church and stop talking to our friends and family. make an effort to keep attending church and keep in touch with your loved ones even if it's not what you want to do.
7. Anti-depressant medication can be helpful, talk to your doctor. there are also naturopathic things that can help if you prefer to go that way.

I hope that what I have said has been helpful to someone. may God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment