Sunday 11 September 2011

9/11 some thoughts, a devotional


Hi!

i wrote this devotional this morning. I didn't take much time to edit it because I wanted to put it here today so it's probably not as well written as my other things. Anyway here it is:

 “Comfort, comfort My people,” says your God.
[Isaiah 40:1]

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.
[Psalm 23:4]

Your Word has given me new life.
 This is my comfort in my suffering.
 Psalm 119:50

When I felt the Lord telling me to write a devotional  on 9/11 for our Christian radio show Power Praise, I felt unqualified to do it, since it wasn't my country that was attacked and though we can feel sympathy for those who lost their lives and for their families, it's not the same for us as it is for the people of America and especially the people of New York.

But I was reminded how I felt the night of the Christchurch Earthquake which I know has nothing to do with 9/11 but bear with me just a bit.

I remembered thinking about the tragedy and wondering where god was in all this. I know God is all-powerful, so why didn't he stop it from happening?

 Then God reminded me of the little miracles. The people who shouldn't have survived but did. The people who were supposed to be at work in the buildings that were worst hit but somehow weren't where they were supposed to be. the survivors that were found when all hope was gone.

the same could be said for 9/11.  What happened then was terrible and tragic  but there were tiny beacons of hope that shone through.  People who got out of the buildings  thanks to the bravery of the firefighters  and with god's help. People who were supposed to be at the twin towers  Who didn't get there for whatever reason.

It's hard to find the words to say to explain why god allows things like this to occur.  THERE are things happening that we won't  fully understand this side of heaven.  Yet there are things we do know, things that we as Christians can hold onto  Though the world is going crazy around us. We need to hold onto these things because it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Let me remind you of some of these things.

1. God loves us. the bible says:
 "God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son so that whoever believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life.
2. He is with us when we suffer
and he understands how we feel.
The bible says:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.
[Psalm 23:4]
and this:
And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
[Matthew 28:20b]
3. Our life on earth is temporary.
 The sufferings we have now are nothing compared to
 the great glory that will be shown to us.
[romans 8:18]
4. The future we have in God is far more wonderful than we could imagine:
As the bible says:
 but just as it is written,

   “THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,
AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN,
ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.”

I hope that something I said has encouraged you today. remember that God does understand how you feel so you can tell him whatever is on your mind.
 May god be with you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment